10/6/13

Apple Picking and Single Serve Apple Pies!

Yesterday I went apple picking with my boyfriend and one of our good friends. We went to a local orchard called Beak and Skiff. They are famous for their amazing Apple Cider and Apple Cider Donuts, both of which are AMAZING! We got to go to their tasting room, where you are able to sample Hard Cider, Vodka, Wine, and Gin for free!

Here are some photos of our trip!






This is my friend Kelly. She lives with her face in her phone. 

Anyways, after we got home I realized that we had a TON of apples. I really wanted to make some apple crisp, but I did not have enough brown sugar or oatmeal. I then decided I wanted to make an apple pie, but go figure that I didn't have a pie tin. While I was searching the net I came across this recipe for Single Serving Apple Pies made inside of the apple! I just knew I had to try this out!

What I used:
4 large Cortland apples (I used the 4 biggest apples I could find from out batch that we picked)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use more or less, depending on how much you like)
1 pie crust

What I did:

Preheat oven to 370.

I lined a cookie sheet with tin foil. I placed four apples on the cookie sheet and cut the tops off of the apples. You can cut the tops of into chunks and add it to the rest of the apple chunks in the next step, I just gave them to my guinea pig. 


Scoop out the insides. I found it was easiest to scoop out a bit from the top first (put the scooped out apple in a bowl), then take a knife and cut around the core then scoop the core out. After I did that I scooped out the rest and put it in the bowl with the rest of the apple chunks.


 Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix in with the apple chunks in the bowl.


 Put the apple mixture back inside the apples. Set aside for a couple minutes while you do the next steps.


Use a cookie cutter, or cut by hand, sections of pie crust that are large enough to cover the tops of your apples.


Use a straw to make some holes in the top of the crust.



Place the crust on top of the apples. Do not mold the crust to the apples like I did.

 Bake for 20-30 minutes. Keep your eyes on it. Cook basically until the crust is lightly browned. If you over cook it, the apple will kind of cave in on itself. A couple of mine did, while it might look funny it will still taste great!


You can top with caramel and whipped cream like i did, or eat it as is. I might try it with some ice cream next time



*Each apple uses:
 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp powdered cinnamon 

 Adjust the amount you need depending on the number of apples you are using. The amounts I listed as a part of my recipe are for four large apples.


Let me know if you try this recipe out! 

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen this before. Very clever.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! So creative and simple too! Thank you for coming by to Foodie Fridays and sharing this week. Hope to see you again on Thursday.
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete